When setting up an email account on an iOS device, it will automatically create additional email folders such as "Sent Messages" and use this folder for sent mail, instead of using the Sent folder on the server. This will be the same for deleted messages and drafts. Once you have setup email on your iOS device, you can configure the correct folders by configuring your iPhone to sync your various IMAP folders and prevent duplicate folders from showing up. We call this Folder Mapping; below are the steps to do so.
- On the home screen, tap the Settings icon.
- Within Settings, scroll down and tap Accounts and Passwords
- Within the Mail settings window, select the account that you wish to configurre.
- Within the account settings, select Advanced at the bottom.
- Under MAILBOX BEHAVIORS, select Sent Mailbox
- Select the appropriate folder under ON THE SERVER.
- Now repeat the previous step for Deleted Mailbox.
Ignore the Archive Mailbox, it won't be used.
- Last step! Make sure Deleted Mailbox is selected under MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO. This will ensure deleted messages go to the Deleted Mailbox folder.
- Now you're done! Go back to the home screen and launch the Mail app. Your email should appear within a few minutes, depending on the amount of items to sync.
Note: If you have a large mailbox, it may take several minutes before email appears. Please wait at least 15 minutes before troubleshooting.