Surface Pro 3 screen cracked from over-heating?

edited July 19 in General Discussion

I was using my Surface Pro 3 the other day and noticed that when I typed or used the mouse, it was mysteriously slide to the left of the screen. After doing a restart I noticed when the screen was dark that there seemed to be a hair on the screen. When I went to remove the hair I noticed that there was in fact a crack on the screen! This came as a surprise as the Surface Pro has not moved for several days and I would notice such a crack.

I did some research and noticed there are a few other posts from people like Caitlin who all of sudden notice cracks in the Microsoft Surface screen without any physical damage. This has been attributed to the cheap glass Microsoft uses with the Surface. When the device become hot, the screen may crack.

Although just a minor crack it does impair the movement of the mouse to make the device mostly unusable. I did uninstall the touch screen drivers from device manager which is a temporary workaround. When you restart the device, these drivers will reinstall leaving you with a device that is very difficult to login to with phantom ghost mouse maneuvers happening all over the place.

My next step was contact Microsoft support with whom I usually have a good experience with. In this case they just reminded me that the device is past the one year warranty and I should fork out another $3 as the "Surface 3 is old and now we sell Surface 4." Not very helpful at all. It is a shame as the computer works really well, it is an i7 with 8 GB Ram and is a fast as any top computer available today. These short product life cycles really bother me. It is not all about the money, there is so much waste buying a new computer every year or 2 for a minor defect. This is why I stopped buying Apple products as they are experts when it comes to planned obsolescence. Too bad Microsoft has followed suit, I will NOT be buying another Microsoft device.

Microsoft have acknowledged this issue although my experience could not be further from what they say they will do in these cases. Here is the official Microsoft statement on the issue:

“The Surface Team is aware of a very small number of Surface Pro 3 Intel® Core™ i7 devices that are temporarily restarting and incorrectly showing a 'Thermometer Gauge' icon while attempting to boot up. Our investigation reveals that the system is triggering this event sooner than it should for some people, only when the device restarts, and this does not occur when the device is booted and running. We have an update that will address this that will be ready for our customers as soon as possible. The i7 version of Surface Pro 3 is a first-of-its-kind tablet delivering i7 processing power in a thin and light package. As such, the increased power calls for the fan to spin more regularly and at higher speeds – and for the unit to run slightly warmer. If customers have any questions or concerns, they should contact Microsoft Support.”

Comments

• Yes i care very much! Same thing happend to me a week ago. Shipped mine in (from Germany) Today it came back with the screen still cracked.... Talked to Microsoft again and first they told me there is nothing they can do since the Service team decided it was "my fault". After a while they said they have a special Service Team in the USA for such cases and try to contact them and ship it to them... I am really pissed right now because it will take for ever and they didn't sound very Optimistic. To replace the Screen would cost 270€ and I would only have a 90 days warranty ...

Please keep me Updated! ;)

• edited August 15

For sure Laas. I went for another visit to Microsoft Store and this time after waiting for an hour, they re-calibrated the screen. It seemed to work but when I got home the issue was back. Tried contacting them again and they just remind me of the warranty. The device also works much slower after letting a Microsoft technician work on it. Time for a new computer.

• After 3 hours on the phone to Microsoft Support. The best they could offer me was a replacement device. I must first pay $800CAD and ship my Surface off. 10 day later they will ship another Surface 3 back to me. Not really a solution.

• edited September 20

I did eventually get a free replacement Surface Pro for this although it is past warranty. :)

This discussion has been closed.